Thursday, April 28, 2011

Run Less, Run Faster: A Book Review

It's time for another one of my lame book reviews. Oh stop- You know you love them. And by popular request, I will continue my HILARIOUS reading pictures.

This time, I read Run Less, Run Faster from the people over at Runner's World.

I read it while playing hide and seek with the kids.



I read it at story time.

And of course, I forced the kids to read it as well and turn in a 4 page book reports.

The point of the book is that runners of any level can improve their running times by using the FIRST (Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training ) program.


The main point of the book is to use the "3 plus 2" program, where each week you include 3 quality runs, including track repeats, the tempo run, and the long run. On the other 2 days, you incorporate aerobic cross-training workouts, such as swimming, rowing, or pedaling a stationary bike. You take 2 rest days somewhere in there too.

So here's my opinion. I know this book is totally rocking people's world out there. I've read really nothing but positive reviews about this program. However, for a casual runner like myself, it's a little much. I'm not down playing the effectiveness of the plan because like I said, it seems to be a key in a lot of other runner's training.
I was a little bummed because this book says it's for runners of any level, but really, it seemed a lot more directed at people that have ran in some races and are already in great shape. I was looking forward to getting myself on an actual written training program, but I don't think this is the one for me. I have no access to the cross training activities they want you to do: Swimming and biking. Also, a lot of the lingo in this book was over my head too. Tempo runs, track repeats, ect. I was a little lost. I'm not trying to qualify for Boston, which kinda seemed like the point of the book.
The other thing I didn't like about the book is that you would be reading, and all of a sudden in the middle of a sentence, a reader's letter would be thrown in there. Weird!
I think this book would be great for an experienced runner trying to work on their time to qualify for certain big marathons out there. I'll keep looking for something a little more basic for myself.

3 comments:

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I agree with you. I am using the plan for my 2nd marathon and EVERY run is intense. There are no freebies.

I have been poor with crosstraining, but I am faster and injury free. Let me know if you decide to use it one day!

You and your daughter are adorable!!!!!

Unknown said...

Have you gone to Runnersworld.com and looked under "training"? That's where I started out a year ago, the training plans are not so intense.

Like Jess, I liked RLRF, and am hoping it will get me to a PR in the half this Sunday.

Fun review!

Katie @ Parker Report said...

Thanks Jess! I think you're right-there's no "easy runs". I'm glad it's kept you injury free though. That's worth sticking with it alone!

I will check out runnersworld.com for more info on the training plans. Thanks for the tip!! Good luck in your half this weekend!! You rock!!