Thursday, February 21, 2013

Balance




When I think of balance, I think of harmony. You know, the ying and the yang. The black and white. I think of two extremes pulling me in opposite directions and me sitting in perfect meditation, eyes closed, legs criss-crossed, saying "oooohhhmmmmm". Now that would take some serious balance. Or maybe that's inner peace. Either way, you gotta have balance to maintain your sanity.

As far as balance goes, this is something I definitely struggle with. In some areas of my life, I think I have really good balance. I try to have strong morals and values without judging other people for their choices. I appreciate getting out of the house a couple times a week to go to work and use my education, so I work part time. I think I'm good at balancing my time and attention with both of my kids. I think I rock at having fun and being free spirited and being realistic.

However, there are absolutely areas I need to work on having balance: not worrying/thinking about things I can't control, for example. I tend to get pretty worked up about the other people's behavior or the course of events that I cannot determine. I need to let some of that go. Also, I get what Cory would say "psycho" about cleaning and throwing things away. I know he means that jokingly (I think), but there the majority of the time I just go on crazy cleaning sprees once a day instead of picking up throughout the day. Another area I need to have balance is with exercise and diet. I think I'm starting to FINALLY get the grasp of this. I think probably 80% of the time, I'm making healthier choices than I normally would have in the past. I'm making more of an effort to exercise in a more balanced way, not feeling bad about myself if I don't workout 4-5 days a week.

Finding balance is tough. It's something I think we all work on probably thoughout life. Kids, jobs, spouses, money, health...these are continually evolving and changing, so it's natural to always be reassessing, re prioritizing, and reorganizing and seeking symmetry.

Is there an area in your life you need more balance? What parts in your life are you successfully balancing?



No comments: