Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Weight Goal Met!!

Having Parker in 2007, then Callie 10 months later took a toll on my figure to say the least. With pregnancy #1, I gained about 40 pounds, lost 20, then got pregnant with Callie and gained 35 pounds. Getting down to my pre-baby weight has been my #1 goal through this whole fitness journey I started in January. I am so proud to say that last week I met my goal.

This whole experience has taught me to say SCREW THE SCALE! It is an awesome tool for helping me stay on track and obviously doesn't lie about my progress. However, there are so many other ways to tell if I'm healthier. For example: my endurance, how my clothes fit, my energy level, my skin is clearer, quality of sleep. The list goes on and on. That being said- I have met my goal of 154 pounds and I started out at 175 in January. I have lost 21 pounds...SO FAR! And I did it the healthy way!

I tried to find some before and after pictures, but truth is I don't have many pictures where I'm not holding a kid in front of me or kneeling down. I was hiding behind others because I was embarrassed. I do have 1 before picture I took at the beginning, but I am in my bra and underwear- no way those are getting out there!! Here's what I came up with.

BEFORE





AFTER: note: these were taken this morning at 7 am before work. No laughing!




I hate taking pictures of myself..I feel so awkward!!


Funny thing too about being pre-baby weight: My body is still very different. I guess I didn't realize after kids your hips get wider, your boobs get bigger, and your body just changes in general. 154 today is not the same as back in 2006. And that is fine with me. My kids are so worth every stretch mark and added inch around my hips!

So, where do I go from here? Do I try and just maintain my weight? Do I keep losing? Do I put back on a few pounds from slacking off? Answer: probably all 3 will happen! My next goal is to lose 10 more pounds. Why? Not for vanity, but because that is what is considered a "healthy or ideal weight" for someone my height (5'5"). I want to be the healthiest mom I can be and set an example to my kids to live a healthy lifestyle. Especially for Callie because girls have such a huge amount of pressure to be thin. And I want to make sure she sees it's not about being thin- it's about being healthy and loving yourself!! Both of which are an everyday struggle for me, but something I hope comes naturally to both my kids.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

You look amazing! And I love that you did it the old fashioned way... So many people try and cheat their way with weight loss and it just isn't healthy.

You are an awesome example of living a healthy lifestyle and your kids are lucky to have such a great mom setting the example for them. :)

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Congratulations! I love that you want to set a good example for your girls--that is the best motivation out there!

Run with Jess said...

Congratulations!!! It is so hard to lose the weight after baby. And I agree my body is sooo different than pre-baby. I'm still struggling with the last 20... I keep wavering back and forth. Argh!

mom said...

You look great!You are already an imspiration to your daughter...she loves being MOMMY!!!!

Melissa said...

That is so awesome sis! I am very proud of you and all your hard work!!