Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Rodeo Fun Run 5K Recap

Yeeehaw folks! It's fair and rodeo time around my town, which gets started with a 5K fun run and pancake breakfast. My employer sponsers the event, so they were offering free fair tickets to participants. Sign us up!!

The run was along a usual running route my mom and I do along the Columbia River. This is always a pretty run with lots of ducks and boaters to look at. There were less than 200 people there, so not too crowded at all. I was hoping I wouldn't get lost on the running course again! My real goal was to get a new PR and finish under 33:50.

The first part of the race was good. I was keeping my goal pace of a 10:50-11 min mile and felt good. At the halfway turn around, I was getting tired. I was having cramps and we were now running into the hot sun. Thankfully, I was able to keep pushing through and finished in 33:48. Met my goal by 2 whole seconds, which I guess is a success...barely! I finished the race in a 10:52 pace.




My mom finished her longest run to date and completed her first 5K!!! I am so, so proud of her! She finished 5 minutes better than what she thought she would do too- so she rocks! The finish line was near a statue and we couldn't resist being nerds around it.


The breakfast buffet after the race was making our stomachs turn, so we took off and hit the parade. What a fun day.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Congrats to both of you!! Keep rocking those awesome times!! Thinking about starting my running training again next week. Would you reccommend running outside or on a treadmill?