Monday, July 16, 2012

I RAN FROM THE COPS!

I ran in a local 5k the other night called "Run From the Cops" to benefit the Special Olympics. I ran with my mom, sister, and an old friend from my childhood. They shut down a major road in our area at midnight and cops were everywhere! We made shirts that said "D.O.C." ("Department of Corrections")to help us get in the spirit. There were a few other people dressed up like criminals, but not too many.
The course was an out and back, flat run. It was nice that it was on such a busy street because there was a lot to look at. A local bar on the route was even having a jello wrestling contest outside! There were a fair amount of spectators cheering the runners and walkers on. I liked that there were people of all fitness levels at the run. The only bad thing was how hot it was! Even at midnight it was in the 80's. It made it a harder run that it probably had to be. Maybe next year it will be cooler. Also, there was chip timing, but no marker at the start, and I don't think any checkpoints. I saw a couple people turn around before they were supposed to, so finishing times were not accurate for us that started in the back. I sprinted the last quarter mile, as my garmin said I was going to get a PR! After recalculating the chip timer time to my watch with my sister, I realized I did not get a PR after all. :( My time was 34:11. That's okay though, I'm really proud of my time. We had taken a day trip the day before and had just got into town about an hour before the run. I had been sitting in a car most of the day and eaten fast food. Not smart. My sister also finished her first 5K so I was thrilled to be there in that finishing moment with her. I will definitely run this race again next year!
ALL DONE!

No comments: