Saturday, March 5, 2011

2011: The Year I Started Running

I'm loving this year so far! Maybe it's all the freaking running I've been doing because the endorphins are a-pumpin! I'm training for a 5k people! Forever I've always admired runners. It started out as a vanity thing..I mean, come on..runners have amazing bodies. Toned arms, flat tummies, long lean legs. Who doesn't want that?!
But then I tried running and failed miserably and I realized, not only do I admire their bodies, I admire their determination, their motivation, their mental strength..So last fall I started the couch to 5k program. I only made it to week 6 when the weather turned cold and the holidays came. Yes, I know..excuses. I also hit my highest weight ever (other than being pregnant) and was pretty bummed about the way I was looking.
I also always had a personal goal that before I turned 30, I was going to run a 5k without walking. It seemed like such a crazy goal because I've never been a runner. Not even close. Although I played sports in high school and worked out at the gym in college, I could NEVER run a mile straight. I could barely run for a minute! So, I jumped back on the running bandwagon with the new year. I started walking on the treadmill for only 20 minutes at a time 3-4 times per week. My endurance was low and I needed to build my muslces and lungs up. This guy has become my new best friend: THE DREADMILL!!!
After working my you-know-what off, I'm now able to run a mile without stopping! In fact, the other day I ran a mock 5k on the treadmill and finished in 36 minutes even. That's basically an 11:30 mile for you number people. Yes, I'm slow! But slow is faster than not moving at all, right? I only had to walk twice for about a minute. I'm hoping to improve my time and speed and will run my 'real' 5K in the fall this year. I've also lost about 13 pounds over the past 2 months which is icing on the cake! Only 7 more pounds and I'll be Pre-Parker weight!!
It's been crazy how much meeting these small running goals have changed my attitude about me. Running is hard for me. It does not come naturally. But I'm pushing myself. Going outside my comfort zone. And to me, that's awesome because I like my comfort zone. Who knows, maybe it's true what they say about getting older...The Best is Yet to Be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie...that's awesome. I'm so proud of you for getting out there and doing something challenging. It does make a difference on how you feel about yourself for sire.I have wanted to be runner my whole life and pretty much stink at it. As of Monday I too am training for a 5K. It's my post baby goal to loose the weight.

The Stemps said...

That's so exciting Sam! Too bad you're not closer, we could train together!!
Those stinkin' babies!! They kill our bodies, huh? They are worth every little pound though!!